Mr. Vamvakas is the Chairman, CEO and founder of Greybrook Capital, a private equity firm focused on real estate and healthcare. He is also Chairman of Greenbrook-TMS NeuroHealth centers, (TSX:GTMS), the leading provider of TMS Therapy in North America. Greenbrook clinics provide a novel treatment for patients suffering with depression. He is also chairman of TearLab Corporation (NASDAQ:TEAR), an ophthalmic device company developing and commercializing novel, lab-on-a-chip technologies that enable eye care practitioners to test for highly sensitive and specific biomarkers in tears at the point-of-care.
Prior to Greybrook Capital, Mr. Vamvakas co-founded TLCVision (NASDAQ/TLCV, TSX/TLC), which he built into the largest eye care service provider organization in North America with revenues of more than $300 million, more than 100 laser eye clinics, over 200 mobile laser sites, more than 250 mobile cataract locations, several ambulatory surgery centers and, through its subsidiary Vision Source Inc., the largest independent optometric franchise with more than 2,000 locations. TLC’s stock, listed on the TSX and NASDAQ since 1996, appreciated to well over $1 billion during his tenure.
Mr. Vamvakas has received many management awards from industry and his peers including:
- Canada’s Top Forty under Forty” in 1996.
- Presidential Medal of Honor from the Illinois College of Optometry in 1996.
- Ernst & Young’s Canadian Entrepreneur of the Year for Innovative Partnering and Entrepreneur of the Year for Ontario in the Emerging Category in 1999.
- He was recognized by Profit Magazine in 2000 for managing Canada’s fastest growing company (TLC) with over 25,000% growth over 5 years.
- In 2005 he was also voted “best of the best” by his peers.