Consultants may be dedicated to an individual Partner(s) for their primary day-to-day activities or work at the discretion of their Practice Leader and/or Office Managing Partner; depending on workload and business demands, Consultants may support multiple Partners across various offices and practices.
The Consultant role is designed to manage these same responsibilities with an increased degree of interface with clients and candidates throughout the entirety of the search process; this includes participating in or leading in-depth candidate interviews, drafting candidate reports, contributing to the referencing process, and updating and closing out finalist candidates. Consultants work closely with lead Partners on all facets of search projects with a degree of engagement and ownership intended to compliment the skills and capacity of the lead Partner. The Consultant role is also intended to provide broader exposure to and engagement with Business Development, particularly for Consultants with the career aspiration of stepping into the Partner role in the future.
Consultants work in a fast-paced, demanding environment as proactive team players while efficiently managing multiple priorities and deadlines. Consultant’s involvement in the search process spans from supporting Partners in business development to enabling the closure of each search engagement through strong project management.
Best-in-Class Recruiting Processes
- Effectively manage a substantial number of searches at any given time, ensuring that all are progressing against the stated timetables set by Clients and the Lead Partner.
- Participate in client launch and progress meetings, typically via the telephone.
- Based on Client feedback at search launch, develop a “litmus test” or set of key criteria that defines a successful candidate for each search; use this same input to draft a Position Specification for use in the search process.
- Develop accurate target company lists (based on industry, geography, and other relevant criteria) and accurate target candidate lists (based on desired skills and experiences).
- Effectively utilize various research databases – both internal and external – to retrieve information on potential candidates, sources, and target companies/organizations.
- Develop a search strategy and “pitch” that will convey why a particular role is a compelling opportunity.
- Diligently contact potential candidates and sources, utilizing a variety of communication methods to ensure contact is achieved.
- Based on background information and live competency-based assessments, accurately assess candidates’ degree of fit with the search’s position description and key criteria.
- Professionally and persuasively “sell” candidates on new opportunities; demonstrate a well-versed knowledge of the client’s industry and market dynamics.
- Communicate with candidates and clients in a timely, service-oriented manner.
Internal Team and Project Management
- Utilize Caldwell’s search database (Thrive) to input and retrieve data and to track search progress.
- Provide direction and information to the Project Coordinator throughout the search process.
- Regularly update Partners on search progress, raising concerns from market response or feedback if necessary.
- Support Partner in communicating with candidates and clients throughout the search process.
- In conjunction with the Project Coordinator, prepare, proofread and distribute correspondence and presentation materials to all parties at each of the appropriate milestones in the search project cycle.
- Keep abreast of various research resources that could enhance the effectiveness of the research process and delivery.
- Inform colleagues of trends and developments within a particular company, geography or sector and track market changes that could impact business development, client relationships or search outcomes.
- As a reflection of their depth of experience and desire to assume a broader client-facing role, Consultants are also responsible for the following:
- In agreement with the Lead Partner, provide clients and candidates with regular updates and status reports from search kick-off through closure; included in this scope of communication is providing regular updates to candidates, including signing off candidates who are not selected for an opportunity, and actively participating in regular status updates with clients.
- Participate in, alongside Partner, or lead in-depth candidate interviews and draft assessments to be sent to client.
- Continually monitor market trends as it relates to relevant industries, geographies and/or functions; identify opportunities for Business Development and, as appropriate, strategize with Partner on best approach for pursuing new clients or search assignments. Over time, demonstrate ability to originate new business.
- Mentor and coach more junior colleagues (Project Coordinators and Associates), as needed.
Education and Qualifications
- Prior recruiting experience is strongly preferred, either from a search firm or as a member of a high performing internal recruiting function.
- Solid business acumen and an ability to quickly learn new industries, functions and markets.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field (Business/Commerce, Human Resources).
- Excellent verbal and written communication and listening skills; ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization and to outside parties.
- Technologically adept, with a high degree of proficiency utilizing software programs and research tools to complete one’s work (Microsoft Office, Thrive, Internet/Research Tools, etc.).
- Strong project management and execution skills.
- Analytical, creative problem solver with the ability to develop unique solutions to each search challenge.
- A process thinker who is diligent, persistent and thorough in the execution of the work but can demonstrate flexibility when necessary to meet changing demands.
- Strong attention to detail.
- Client focused: consistently executes one’s work and collaborates with team to ensure client satisfaction; exhibits a passion for client service.
- Team oriented, with an ability to positively contribute to a highly collaborative environment; accepts input and sharing of ideas to achieve common goals.
- Relationship builder: possesses confidence, presence, character and integrity. Builds trust with colleagues, clients, and candidates.
Takes accountability for decisions and conducts him/herself in a respectful, ethical and professional manner that represents the company’s interests and standards.
- Strong multi-tasking skills and an ability to thrive under pressure.
- Ability to successfully persevere and succeed in the face of adversity.
- Self-directed working style with a high degree of proactivity and ownership of one’s work.
- Desire to learn, grow and improve one’s performance.