-Company achieves year-over-year quarterly revenue increase of 69%-
- Quarterly revenue up 69% over comparable period last year
- Growth of US operations continues – US accounts for more than half of consolidated quarterly revenues
- Expenses associated with growing the business continue to strain earnings, with the company reporting a quarterly loss of $1.093 million
Toronto, Ontario– January 13, 2011 – Retained executive search firm The Caldwell Partners International Inc. (TSX: CWL) today issued its financial results for the fiscal 2011 first quarter ended November 30, 2010. All references to quarters or years are for the fiscal periods unless otherwise noted and all currency amounts are in thousands of Canadian dollars. Certain comparative account balances have been reclassified to achieve comparability to current year balances.
Financial Highlights (in $000s)
|Three Months Ended Nov 30|
|Operating revenue||$ 6,454||$ 3,830
|Operating profit (loss)||(1,109)||(1,196)|
|Investment income, net
|Net earnings before & after tax||(1,093)||(1,171)|
|Net earnings (loss) per share||$ (0.064)||($ 0.071)|
“Once again we are seeing solid year-over-year growth in our quarterly revenues,” said John N. Wallace, Chief Executive Officer. “On the whole, we are pleased with the growth we have achieved and look forward to continuing to make targeted, strategic additions to the team.”
“Given our exceptional fiscal 2010 fourth quarter, a softening in our first quarter revenues was anticipated. We are optimistic that bookings will remain on plan for the balance of the year, but given our relatively small size, our sector focus, and market variability, we can expect to see further fluctuations in our quarterly revenues.”
“Although we showed an operating loss, the investments we have made in growing our business have broadened our footprint, deepened our industry and functional expertise and extended our brand across North America. We will continue to make these selective investments and reap the benefits of the expanded team and improved infrastructure in the quarters and years to come.”
Financial Highlights (all numbers expressed in $000s)
- 2011 first quarter revenue, up 69% over first quarter 2010 results to $6,454, the result of strategic investments in new partners and new offices, and general improvement in economic conditions
- However as anticipated, in relation to exceptionally strong performance in the fourth quarter of fiscal 2010, first quarter revenues are lower
- Given company’s current size, sector focus and market variability, sequential quarterly revenues may continue to be somewhat variable in fiscal 2011
- Given very significant investments made in the Company’s expansion over the past 12 months, the Company reported a $1,109 operating loss for its first quarter, as compared to a loss of $1,196 in the comparable 2010 period
- In addition to increased variable compensation costs on higher revenue levels in the fiscal 2011 first quarter, investments made in growing the business have also resulted in higher infrastructure and other costs as compared to the first quarter of fiscal 2010
- Since the end of the first quarter of fiscal 2010, the Company has increased its search staff by 24%, currently employing 77 search professionals, including 32 partners.
- Including modest investment income, the Company reported a net loss for the fiscal 2011 first quarter of $1,093 ($0.064 per share) as compared to a loss of $1,171 ($0.071) in the comparable period last year
The company continues to take advantage of its financial strength and market opportunities to strategically expand its organization and business, and to build a solid platform for sustainable revenue growth and profitable future returns. These initiatives will continue to require some investment of the company’s capital reserves over a period of time. Management believes that the company has sufficient liquidity and cash resources to fund both its ongoing operations and its strategic growth initiatives.
Operating revenue, gross profit/loss and operating income/loss are non-GAAP (generally accepted accounting principles) measures. The company believes, however, that they provide a useful understanding of the performance of its core human capital services operations as they exclude income or loss from investments and taxes.
For a complete discussion of the quarterly and annual financial results, please see the company’s Management Discussion and Analysis posted on SEDAR at www.sedar.com
About The Caldwell Partners
The Caldwell Partners International is one of North America’s premier providers of executive search and has been for 40 years. As one of the region’s most trusted advisors in executive search, the firm has a sterling reputation built on successful searches for boards, chief and senior executives, and selected functional experts.
With offices and partners in Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Dallas, Calgary, Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, Stamford, New York City, and a strategic presence in London, the firm takes pride in delivering an unmatched level of service and expertise to its clients.
Forward-looking statements in this document are based on current expectations that are subject to significant risks and uncertainties. Actual results might differ materially due to various factors such as the competitive nature of the executive search industry, the ability of the company to execute its growth strategies, the performance of the Canadian domestic and international economies, and the company’s ability to retain key personnel. The Caldwell Partners assumes no obligation to update the forward-looking statements, or to update the reasons why actual results could differ from those reflected in the forward-looking statements.
For further information, please contact:
Investors & Analysts:
Karen Richards, CA, Chief Financial Officer
The Caldwell Partners International
Caroline Lomot, Director of Marketing
The Caldwell Partners International